cerebral palsy and neuromuscular disorders
Mr Bennet is experienced in the assessment and surgical treatment of children with cerebral palsy and other neuromuscular disorders. He is one of 4 surgeons at Southampton Children’s hospital who work closely together with a big team of specialised healthcare professionals to provide comprehensive care to children with neuromuscular orthopaedic problems. Less complex surgery can often be done in a private hospital although sometimes we recommend that bigger operations in complex patients take place in Southampton Childrens Hospital. Please get in touch for more information.
Common surgical treatments include
- Hip reconstruction for subluxing / dislocating hips
- Treatment of fixed knee flexion with either guided growth or distal femoral extension osteotomy
- Long bone (femur and tibia) derotation osteotomies for rotational malalignment.
- Foot reconstruction for complex deformities and contractures including tendon transfers
- Muscle releases and tendon lengthening for joint contractures (e.g. gastrocnemius recession) and botulinum toxin (botox) injections